“Anti-depressants are not addictive, can take 2-4 weeks for an antidepressant to start working. If you stop suddenly you can get flu like symptoms… should do this in a planned way with your doctor.”
“From my point of view medication should always be put with therapy. It helps you motivate you and move you through the therapy, and also it gave me a bit of hope.”
- Stands for: Serotonin Specific Re-uptake Inhibitors
- Increases the amount of serotonin in your brain.
- Usually prescribed medication for 6-12 months.
- If you experience depression more than a couple of times in your life you may need to take it for longer.
- Common side effects, headache, nausea, tummy upset.
*Tangata whaiora = in this context: adolescent service user